What crappy search engine led you here?

I'm about as sure of your reasons for visiting this blog as my reasons for keeping it. So sit.

Tuesday, October 30, 2007

Race report # 5 1/2. Soquel+Speedvagen Acid Test.


Soquel. Home of my one and only cross win....a looooooong time ago in a galaxy far, far...oh never mind. Obviously, I have a soft spot for Soquel, but this year she decided she was in love with someone else. It was a really good course. Lot's of tricky transitions. Look down to see what gear you are in and you're off into the tape. Grass, gravel, loose run-up, whoopdees, pavement, costumes, beer. Crazy. The first lap was a cluster-f*ck as usual. Look folks, strong doesn't equal skilled. If you can't ride off-camber, or handle a tricky transition, get the hell outta the A's or stage at the back. I got passed by the same nut-job 3 times. Sure he was stronger, but I was faster. He was crashing everwhere, and taking people out w/him. Doofus. Anyway, a 1/3rd of the way into the 3rd lap, I picked up a goathead. No! I didn't have any dad-gum sealant for the 10th time...back off. Ran/rode to the pit. It was of course at the start/finish. That meant for a long jog and I got passed by nearly everyone. Grabbed the pit bike and realized I was running about 30 psi in the clinchers...sh!t. It was only a matter of time. Can't worry about that now...Caught a few stragglers then PFFFFffffssssssst. Done. Double Flat. Never had that happen. Ce'st la vie. At least I've got a thermos of coffee and rice krispie treats back in the truck. On the positive side, It was a true litmus test for the speedvagen geometry. I nearly killed myself on the pit bike trying to take the same lines I was taking earlier in the race. I was also surprised at how quickly I had adopted to SRAM, screwing up several shifts on the shimano equipped pit bike. Guess I'd better change that one over at some point. Lessons learned; Sealant? Oh, I know this one, I know this one...YES! ALWAYS. Now who's the doofus.
Always check tire pressure. Finally, be sure to lineup in front of the super strong doofus brigade.
Photo By Abbiorca.com

1 comment:

Tim said...

...and you're whistlin' again, too.