What crappy search engine led you here?

I'm about as sure of your reasons for visiting this blog as my reasons for keeping it. So sit.

Friday, January 23, 2009

Mmmmm...Junk Miles.


When I was growing up, asking for a snack provoked an almost autonomic response from my parents. The phrase "have an apple" was so commonplace it was uttered as often as "clean your room". In a household of five kids, that's basically saying it every other breath. My idea of a snack was a Dolly Madison Zinger...so completely superior to a Twinkie as to make the comparison laughably absurd. I digress. I haven't done many junk miles these past 6 years. This past fall, I don't think I did a single one. Others may call by comparison the type of riding I do "junk" but they sure don't feel that way to me.
Over the past 5 months, I was either on the cross bike...hurtful...or staring at a powertap display...hurtful AND demoralizing. Whenever I looked at my training plan after a hard block, never did I see those sweet words "go do some junk miles". It was always some oh-so practical recovery ride. It was always "have and apple". So these past few weeks, I've been getting fat on nothing but a steady diet of junk miles and while it may not do the body much good, it sure is Zinger for the soul.

No comments: