What crappy search engine led you here?

I'm about as sure of your reasons for visiting this blog as my reasons for keeping it. So sit.

Wednesday, June 18, 2008

Running is Hard

I've learned a lot running these last 6 months; running down steep trails is a black art, trying to 'softpedal' while running makes you come to a complete stop, You can't eat ANYTHING 30 minutes prior to a run, and I now know why walkmans were invented. Running is mind-numbing. It's also mentally taxing, much more so than road racing. That's probably a function of experience. My bicycle racing demons and I are on a first name basis. My runnings demons own my sorry butt. I haven't wanted to quit something so painful in a long time. "chapeau" to runners everywhere. Christ it's hard.

2 comments:

Cyclocross Magazine said...

running huh? much respect. in my motivated beantown days, I spent a lot of time running. I'd run the wed cross course, run to the gym, run stadium stairs til dizzy. and while it made me way stronger on the run-ups, my running has pretty much been eliminated from my training. curious if you've found your running has helped much in the bay area races?

I'd run more but a knee I fractured a year ago doesn't enjoy it much. But with fewer barriers, and very short run-ups and dry conditions most of the time, I often think I'm better off putting more time on the bike.

I was very surprised in the interviews we did with the nats winners how little the top riders actually ran. tim johnson said he tries to go for walks mostly. if I walk more will I win nats too?

tjh said...

You've inspired a new post! I was just going to reply, but thought it deserved a life of it's own.